Ethan stayed overnight with Grandma and Grandpa Huffey last night. I woke early and had a cup of tea, read a few articles, and enjoyed the quietness of the house when my quiet time was interrupted by the ringing phone. It was Grandma, and Ethan was crying in the background that he wanted to go home. This was very unlike him as he usually begs me to let him stay, but she informed me he had been complaining of a severe ear ache and would not let up the crying.
I left home and rushed over to pick him up and we visited Dr. Timboe for a diagnosis. On the way we talked about what Dr. Timboe would do and what he would look for and the possibility of needing medicine after the exam if he had an ear infection. I told him Dr. Timboe would look in his ears. He asked me what he would see in his ears. I then replied "He will tell you when we get there." then Ethan urgently replied "NO. YOU tell me Mommy!". I smiled and began to tell him about his ear drum and how it can accumulate fluid that can cause him to have pain. It was a great conversation in the car and when we got there, Ethan was all ready for his exam.
He sat on the table like a 'big boy' and did everything Dr. Timboe asked. He opened his mouth, let him look in his ears and giggled while he listened to his belly button. Then, after the ear exam, Ethan asked me if there was fluid in his ear. It was pretty cute to hear that come from his mouth, but he was just repeating what I had discussed with him earlier as I didn't know if he was aware what 'fluid' actually was. I informed him he had an ear infection and indeed there was fluid in his ear and he needed to take some medicine to help his ear get better. He smiled and was satisfied with that.
After we left the office, we stopped to get some orange juice to reward his good behavior and we had a short (very short) lesson on fluid and liquid. Then, when we picked up his medicine from the pharmacy and I gave him his first dose, he asked me if his medicine was liquid. He is such a good little listener.
It is amazing how such a normal event as a doctors visit can be so interesting.
No comments:
Post a Comment