Today we finished Workbook Level 1 (or as Ethan calls it, the "yellow" book) of the Hooked on Phonics reading program. Last summer I picked up the whole set for $10 at a garage sale and it is turning out to be a great investment.
We started the workbook after Ethan already knew the phonics for all the letters of the alphabet and knew how to put together CVC words (we didn't use a program for teaching him those) so I don't know if it is a good program for teaching phonics, but it is a GREAT program for growing his interest in reading and building confidence in his skills!
This morning, after completing the last page in the book, Ethan said he had a great idea... he thought we should have a party. So, tonight, to celebrate, we invited family over for a reading celebration, complete with homemade chicken pot pie, ice cream and mini graham cracker books!
The menu was all Ethan's idea... he originally wanted ice cream for dinner, but when I told him that wasn't going to happen, he decided that homemade chicken pot pie was just fine. He wanted to make sure we had ice cream for desert though, and he got really specific when he wanted graham crackers and sprinkles with it as well.
I wrote down a few things I needed, and we headed out to the grocery store to prepare for our reading bash! While we were getting ready, he had another "great idea", as he calls them. "Mommy... I know what we can do... we can make a cake and put a book on top of it and write Good Job Ethan on the book!" I quickly put an end to that idea (I was not baking a cake today!), and he decided that ice cream was just fine... as long as we got sprinkles and graham crackers!
It was a great party and I think he had a good time. He read a few books out loud, played a few board games, and enjoyed his ice cream and grahams with sprinkles!!
Monday we start the 'orange book' (Reading Workbook Level 2) and he can't wait. In this level the books are longer and he even starts reading chapter books. One of the first books he will read is 64 pages long with 4 chapters. He can't wait!
It is wonderful to see him so excited about reading!
Way to go Ethan!!
While everyone else was playing board games, Everett was showing Grandma Huffey how he can walk. It won't be long and he will be toddling all over the house.
Way to go Everett!!
No comments:
Post a Comment