Thursday, December 10, 2015

O Christmas Tree

The kids have been begging me to put up the tree since we started driving back from Tennessee, so today they convinced Derrick to carry up the boxes from the basement and after they helped me put a few things away in the living room, we started to put up the tree.

Excited helpers, fluffing the branches as we go.

Eli's Santa hat is a bit too small, but he had fun anyway playing with his toys.



Our tree is actually my tree from when I was a kid, so it's not one of those fancy pre-lighted trees.  Because it's older, it takes some time to fluff each branch, add the layers and string the lights as I go, so I like to do that part to make sure everything ends up in the right place.

The kids really worked together nicely, sorting out the color-coded branches into piles around the living room, taking turns handing me the colors I needed, and also spending time with Eli when he needed a little attention.  About halfway through the assembly of the tree (about the time I was standing on the chair to reach the upper branches) Eli started to really get fussy.  After some investigation, Everett realized it was because his diaper had leaked and his PJ's were wet, so he needed a diaper change.  

They didn't want me to take a break from the tree assembly job, so together they changed his diaper and removed his wet clothing.  Luckily, the camera was on the table near the tree, so from my spot on the chair I grabbed a few photos to capture the helpful trio at work.  Eli cooperated really well.



After I was finished with the branches and the lights, the boys quickly went to work adding the decorations.  Eli took interest in the decorations too, checking out the ones that fell on the floor and looking into the boxes we had around the living room.  Overall, they seemed to take more care in decorating this year, spreading things out all over the tree rather than just clumping them up in one area.  After the first box of ornaments was finished being added, Ethan announced that we weren't going to add anymore, because he "wanted it to still look like a tree".  I was satisfied too, thinking it's less stuff to take down later.  Ha.

Eli enjoyed the jingle bells the most.



I don't know what he's saying here, but he's making a lot of noise.



As much as I thought I didn't want to put the tree up this year (because were in Tennessee right after Thanksgiving and will be leaving soon for California, so it will only be up for a few weeks at most) I'm glad they talked me into it.  It's festive having it lit up during the day and in the evening the light it gives off is relaxing and soft.  I'm thinking we will be taking it down right after Christmas, so we don't have to do so when we return from California, but for right now we will enjoy it as it is.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...