Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Counting with Beans

Counting is a very popular activity in our house lately. Anything and everything gets counted!

Due to the interest and desire to learn to recognize more numbers past 10, we started an activity today with counting beans and matching them up to number cards. Ethan still sometimes mixes up 6,8,9 but this helps him with his ordering and numeral recognition.




I created a table in MS Publisher with numbers 0-30, printed and cut them out. Ethan picked the paper color. He has informed me many times that his favorite color is blue. So we went with blue.

I mixed up the numbers 0-10 and had him begin the activity by ordering them across the top of the mat. He did a great job and then we started with the beans. I showed him how to do zero and 1 and then he went from there. Rather than placing the bean directly under the number one by one, he preferred to count them into his hand and then place them on the mat. This worked fine for the smaller numbers but I suggested that he place them one by one so that if he looses count, he has an easier time counting them on the mat under the number.

We finished the activity 0-10 and he wanted to count more (because there was more beans in the bowl). So I moved the number 10 under the number 0 and helped him order the numbers 10-15, so that he could see the relation of the numbers above with the teen numbers below.

He can count past 50 on his own, but he can only recognize numbers up to 11, so this was a little more difficult but once he started to figure out that the end numbers are similar and they keep going up in order, he didn't want to be done at 15.

"Where is 16, Mommy? 16 should come next!"

I informed him that we were only going to work on the numbers up to 15 and once he got those we would move on to 16-20. He was okay with that and completed the activity.

He has also been very interested in clocks and telling time over the last few weeks, so I am going to create an activity where he matches up the numbers on the clock with the blue numbers I have cut out, but I want to make sure that he knows what 11 and 12 are before we head onto that activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...