We got there and the park was packed. There were cupcakes, lots of friends, and the weather was heating up. It was turning out to be a great day! Then, things changed.
I was standing and talking to a friend, keeping 1 eye on Ethan playing on the playground near by, when all the sudden I heard him screaming/crying and then saw him running towards me, grabbing his arm.
Oh no!" I thought out loud, "I hope he didn't break his arm!"... a friend's son a few years back fell off of a 4ft platform and broke his arm. I was hoping this wasn't also our fate.
I tried to calm him and give him some water, and he continued to cry. Luckily, a mom at the park with our group had some ice in a water bucket and she placed it in a Ziploc and we were able to ice it right away. I assessed his injury (it seemed to be his elbow) and he explained that it hurt like it was broken and he needed to see Dr. Timboe right away! "I know I need an x-ray Mom!" he exclaimed when I asked, "Are you sure?"
While in the van I spoke with the Dr's office and found out that they had meetings until 3pm and couldn't get us an appointment until then. It was around 11:30AM and I discussed this with Ethan. At first he was adamant that he had to see the doctor right away and he didn't want to wait, but as I explained we could sit on the couch, watch a movie or 2 and relax while Everett took a nap, he was a bit more understanding.
We got home, iced his elbow, talked a little about how it happened, and enjoyed Monster's Inc. and Finding Nemo while snuggling on the couch.
At 3PM we went to the doctor. Ethan told him the story how he fell off the monkey bars and landed on his elbow on the ground, and they took a few x-rays. It wasn't clearly broken, but due to the amount of swelling in the joint space, Dr. Timboe suggested that it be splinted and immobilized x 1 week until we could have a recheck x-ray. At this recheck they should, if it is broken, be able to see the healing fractures, and will then know if it needs casted or not.
Ethan is doing great and is handling the sling and immobilization wrap very well. He is still very sore and the joint is very swollen, but as long as he stays in the sling, he doesn't have any pain.
Please pray for him and for a quick healing of his elbow. He really wants to ride his bike, go to Worlds of Fun/Oceans of Fun and swim in the lake again soon, so a broken elbow and a cast for 6-8 weeks would really put a cramp in his style. Hopefully it is not broken, but if it is, at least it isn't his dominant hand.
No comments:
Post a Comment