Wednesday, September 12, 2012

School Time Fun

This year Ethan is officially in Kindergarten and I can't believe how fast time is flying by!  We start our homeschool co-op (LIFE Academy) this coming week and he can't wait to see all his friends again!

Looking at our schedule this year, and knowing that schooling 2 kids at home with a newborn in the mix is going to be a lot different, I start to feel a little anxiety about the whole thing.  Ethan is already more than ready for Kindergarten and Everett is just starting to get the idea of Montessori work during the day, so we will just take things day by day at the moment and see where we end up.

I have been loosely schooling over the summer, doing a few activities during the week, staying with our Math-U-See curriculum, field trips and a few other things here and there that have been on our radar.  So far, so good!  My only complaint is "brother brawls" during the day that leaves me feeling like a referee or a drill sergeant, but from what I have been told, that is part of brotherly love, and I need to learn to accept the normal sibling issues.

One of the hardest concepts I have yet to master is how to manage my time between each child without the other feeling left out or wanting to participate in the activity I am doing with the first.  Hopefully I can get things worked out once Everett can do some of his Montessori work on his own. 

I came across a few things we have done in the past few weeks/months.  Enjoy a look at our school time!

I picked up a used eMac computer with a wireless card on Craigslist for $20.
Everett uses it for learning letters on Starfall.com

These magnetic letters were a $1 at the thrift store. 


Ethan composed poetry and Everett organized the magnetic tiles.

This is Ethan's first poem.  He thought it was so funny!
He revised it a little after we discussed what a poem was (I didn't get a photo).

Field Trip with friends to Neal Smith National Wildlife Refuge.

Pinch pots out of cornstarch clay, per suggestion of our curriculum, My Father's World



We found this interesting creature outside and decided to bring it in.
We placed it inside the butterfly cage and forgot about it.
Later that night we heard a sound and couldn't figure out what it was.
Then I remembered... the bug.  We researched it and it was a Katydid.
Boy was it LOUD!!  We instantly returned it outside.
We have been working on Addition and Subtraction
with our math curriculum, Math-u-See.  This game was
less than a dollar at the thrift store and I thought it would
be great practice for Ethan.  He loved it!  Fun game!!
It is called Number Rings.  You roll the dice then add, subtract,
multiply or divide to get the answer then cover that answer with
a ring.  First to fill all their colors wins.
Another thrift store find.  Widgets!
Lots of fun!












No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...