Each photo is special to me, as it brings me right back to that moment and speaks to my soul, then, paring it with scripture just adds the cherry to the top, grounding it with truth and wisdom.
The photo above was taken in Lincoln, New Hampshire, along the East Branch of the Pemigewasset River, while we were staying at The Village of Loon Mountain in May of 2014. There were a few picnic tables, an old train car, and an area where you could go down to the water and play with sand and stones, so we all decided to grab some snacks and sit and enjoy the outdoors. There was a bridge that crossed the river where Derrick's mom, Vicky, grabbed some photos of the fading sun as Derrick and I stacked rocks with the boys. At the time, I was teaching Ethan about one of my favorite nature artists, (Andy Goldsworthy), and with all the rocks around, Ethan was enjoying experimenting and seeing how many he could stack at once. I took this photo after he completed one of his tallest stacks of rocks. Although it was chilly, and Elliot fell a few times as he traversed the many rocks, we enjoyed the evening and this memory will be forever be rooted in my heart.
I paired this photo with this verse not only because of the word ROCK, but because of the entirety of the scripture for me. "Lead me to the rock that is higher than I." - Psalm 61:2, for me, is a reminder of parenting, marriage, family, foundational truths, as well as my walk with Christ at that moment and today. It speaks volumes to me about the importance of a firm foundation, the balance of work and family, the fragile moments in life and most importantly the value of my faith in Jesus. I can't even start to put it all into words, the experience with the rushing river in the background, the fading sun and the chill of the evening all play a factor as well. This is why my heart longs for this type of art. Combining my photo with the verse brings me back to that moment and wraps me in truth with just a passing glance.

No comments:
Post a Comment