It is a few days from Ethan turning 11 months old and already he can do about 10 signs! I couldn't believe it the first time I saw him sign, it was amazing. His first sign was "dog" with a pat on the ottoman in the living room when the dog was walking through. He had been hitting the floor for a while before that but I never put two and two together to realize he was signing "dog". Now he can sign dog, eat, milk, more, car, change (change diaper), all done, sleep, play, and light. I can't believe it, he is actually communicating his needs with us!
One of the best things about Ethan using sign language, is that he can tell us when he needs a nap or wants to go to bed. It is so cute, seeing him sign "sleep" when he is tired, he also says "ni ni" when he is really tired while doing the sign. He is still napping 2-3 times a day (still holding on strong to that morning nap!) but as long as he keeps telling me he is sleepy, I feel good about putting him down to nap... he rarely fusses when he requests to nap... baby sign language is a great tool!
Well written article.
ReplyDelete