Tuesday, May 11, 2010

On the Road to Reading

Today, after playing with friends and grabbing a bite to eat at Jimmy Johns, we stopped at one of our favorite 2nd-hand stores to look for some good books and anything else we didn't need but couldn't pass up for such a great bargain.

While I was browsing through the books, Ethan was looking for a few books of his own. "Mommy, I can read this book by myself!!" he exclaimed while he pulled a small book from the shelf. It was the book Rhymes With Bug (Beginner Phonics) by Patrick Merrell.

We added this book to our pile and continued to browse. A few minutes later he pulled another book from the shelf. It was a thicker book, Wake Up, Sun! by David L. Harrison, and I knew he wouldn't be able to read it alone, but it would be a great book to read together and let him sound out the CVC words.

So we added that to the pile as well.

Later in the afternoon he wanted to read his books. He did a great job sounding out the 3 letter words I pointed to in the books and we had a great time reading!

We are taking this reading interest little by little, but he is doing great and it is amazing listening to him sound out the words and actually begin to read!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...