Today, the reality of 2 kids and a newborn hit me.
We took a trip to West Des Moines today to see the doctor for Everett's 2 year check up (yes, we are a little behind) and get Elliot checked for his 2 week visit. Things went well until the doctor came in, then Everett had to pee and Ethan started misbehaving while Elliot was screaming to eat! Oh, yeah... multi-task that!
The doctor was running slightly behind, and the kids were getting tired of waiting, so I know that contributed to my problems, but this was my first experience of cutting Elliot off in the middle of his feeding to redirect the situation at hand.
Of course, the moment I decide to feed the baby, the doctor comes in. So, I popped him off and got ready. I then noticed, out of the corner of my eye... Everett sitting in the chair next to me, holding his penis. "Do you have to go potty?" I asked him, hoping he would say no, and of course he says "Yes."
Knowing he cannot wait, I handed a screaming Elliot to the doctor and excused myself, carrying Everett down the hall to the bathroom. I plopped him on the toilet, let him go potty, and then rushed back to the room, while he screamed "My hands are dirty... I need to wash my hands!"
"Not now... we need to get back to the room... we will wash you hands later." (This is when I thought... WHAT AM I DOING! I am CRAZY for thinking I could potty train and take care of a newborn!)
We returned, and Elliot was no longer crying. Things were fine, until it was Everett's turn. He refused to sit on the table and was very grouchy, so the doctor did the exam with him sitting in the chair and got a few smiles from him every now and then.
After everyone was examined, we needed to discuss a few things and document a few things from Elliot's birth. This is when Ethan started to act up. He decided he wanted to sit with Everett in his chair, and Everett didn't want to share. They started fighting and Everett ended up pinching Ethan. (Now, all would have been fine and good if Ethan would have just stayed where he was and didn't even try to share the chair with an already grouch Everett... but this is what big brothers do right... annoy the heck out of their little brothers? And drive their mom crazy at the same time!)
With Ethan and Everett fighting in the seat next to me and Elliot still wanting to eat while the doctor asked me questions about the last few weeks... I stopped the conversation to ask Ethan to remove himself from the seat. He of course refused and I physically grabbed his arm and pulled him to the side in front of me to stop Everett from getting too angry as to where he would start to bite (I could already see things going in that direction). This is the moment where Ethan let out a wail and screamed "YOU HURT MY ARM! My arm! My arm! Ow.Ow.Ow.Ow!" and began to cry. (Seriously?)
I gave an order to end the crying and told him to sit in my seat while I stood up to finish the visit. Things went okay over the next few moments, and the visit ended. After the doctor left I finished nursing Elliot, dressed Everett and discussed with Ethan his behavior choices and consequences. Before leaving, Ethan made a face-to-face apology to the doctor, saying he was sorry for wasting his time with his "naughty" behavior and we headed home.
We got home and I tried to put Everett down for a nap. After many attempts to get him to go to sleep, I gave up. Derrick came home and I sat down on the couch to feed Elliot. Right in the middle of his feeding, Everett runs to the bathroom, full speed, shouting "I have to poop!". I asked Derrick to help him and he did, but during "helping" his phone rang. He is technically "working" even though he is home, so he answered the phone and before I knew it, Everett was in the bathroom screaming with poop all over himself and the floor.
I again popped Elliot off his feeding, set him down on the floor, and cleaned up the poop mess! Derrick, after ending his phone conversation, picked up a screaming Elliot and stood in the doorway while I hosed Everett down in the tub. He didn't say a thing... for he knew he was partially responsible for the mess.
Ah... life as a full-time mom. Glamorous huh? Hopefully tomorrow goes better!
I think how you handled that was entirely glamorous! You are amazing and those kiddos are so blessed to have a cool-headed mommy!
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy you document this; your kids need to read this someday...then deliver you a bouquet of flowers! :)
Micholyn