Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Homemade Rockets

Ethan has been begging us for weeks to make a homemade rocket (ever since we attended the summer library program about rockets) so we finally made one tonight after dinner.  It was a BLAST!

Derrick filled the first empty pop bottle with vinegar, added a baking soda packet (baking soda rolled in a tissue), corked it off, and let it go.  Dud.

He tried it again, this time putting the cork in a little further, and success... but not too impressive.  He tried again, this time adding more baking soda.  Lift off, but still not too impressive.

I took a shot at it.  I told  him when we attended the Doktor Kaboom show last year, he held the bottle in his hand and let it off.  So I loaded it, and held it over the edge of the deck, pointing it out at the yard.  It shot out of my hand, and went across the yard, but in the process I got sprayed with vinegar... not very fun!

So we decided to get a bigger bottle.  Derrick shook it up and ran away... we waited... and waited... and waited, but nothing happened.  Then, without warning... BOOOM, it shot way up into the air!  Very impressive, and to make it even more exciting, it landed on the neighbors house!  Ooops!

Derrick, loading the baking soda packet into the bottle.

Dud.
Try again.
3...2...1...
BLAST OFF!

"That's not very high!" says Ethan
Larger rocket.  More POWER!
Waiting... waiting... waiting...
We have LIFT OFF!
"I can't see it anymore!"







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...