Thursday, February 7, 2008

Signing Strike

I don't know if this is possible, or if he has just given up, but the "explosion" of signs, has slowed to almost none. I don't know if it is because he is teething, or because we were gone and he is getting back into routine, but Ethan has almost stopped signing altogether... and IT IS KILLING ME!

He has resorted to whining, crying and even temper-tantrums when he wants, or doesn't want something. I hope this is a phase and my signing baby will resurface, it has already gotten a little better since we returned back from vacation. He doesn't use the sleep sign anymore when he is tired, (he grabs onto my legs now and sucks his thumb), and when he wants milk he almost breaks into a fit before I can get the lid on the cup (he used to sign "milk" and "more), and he doesn't even do "all done" he just throws his cup down, pushes the food away or screams until you take him out of the highchair. I hope this doesn't last long!

I do think he is cutting his molars on the bottom because both sides of his gums are swollen and red... teeth are always the excuse for everything... I couldn't possibly have a "independent-minded" child who doesn't want to use his signs just because Mommy wants him to... could I?

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog by googling yourbabycanread.com. We are huge into signing (son is 14 months) and use the Signing Time DVD's regularly. I am glad to see that your son is picking up on the words as I am about to order the yourbabycanread system. My son is signing about 12 words right now and whenever he is teething he will resort to crying instead of signing. It gets frustrating, but we don't give in and make him do the signs. Eventually, he stops his tantrum and will sign again. Good luck with the signing and the reading! I am glad to have found your post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...