Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Vacation without the Baby

Well we did it... and I survived. Derrick and I went to Phoenix to visit some friends, hang out and relax, and celebrate the Super Bowl 42 from January 31st - February 4th. Ethan stayed at home with Grandma and Grandpa Huffey while we enjoyed our time together. We stayed with one of Derrick's friends from high school and his wife, we had a lot of fun and played a lot of "Rock Band" and enjoyed hanging out as adults!




It was a bit tough around the 3rd day away, but I managed to make it through. The breaking point was our trip home. Our plane had "mechanical problems" getting to Phoenix so we didn't get into Denver until after 7:30PM. This resulted in us missing our connection to Des Moines, and left us stranded in Denver for another night away from our little guy! I broke down into tears at the counter waiting for the airline to give us hotel passes for the evening. I think Derrick was close to tears too as we were both exhausted!

We were looking forward to getting home, but at the same time, the evening alone in Denver wasn't all that bad. We ended up getting home that following Tuesday, right before another snow storm hit. As we were approaching Des Moines, the pilot notified us that the Des Moines airport had closed for half an hour to clean off the runway... I had visions of him turning around the plane and going back to Denver... but we landed safe and sound.

I wish I could have said that Ethan was excited to see us and ran with open arms shouting "mama" and "dada"... but he didn't. He smiled when we walked in, but didn't really want much to do with us. Grandma let us know that he was also overdue for a nap and maybe he would be better later. After his nap he was back his happy self and as a friend said later that day... "a tired and cranky baby is still a tired and cranky baby, even if Mommy and Daddy are returning back from a long trip".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...