It's been one of those days. The ones where I count down the minutes until nap time so I can possibly have a slight moment of peace and regrouping. The ones where all I can do is to pray for God to grant me a sliver of peace and quiet so I don't run away screaming from all the chaos in this house! The ones where no matter where you look, you find yourself in a mess within a mess within a mess, struggling to figure out where to even begin? Yep, that was today. I'm making myself nuts with the constant repetition of "stop touching your brother" and "hands to yourself".
Lunch time was even worse, with Elliot tossing food at the dog and the other two egging him on like they enjoyed watching the steam roll out of my ears, it was all I could do to keep the peace!! I even made a large salad, complete with hard boiled egg and all my favorite veggies, and because of all the craziness, I didn't even get to eat it! I dismissed them from the disaster of a lunch table, and started to clean up, moving my untouched salad to the side. When just then, I looked up, and saw the beautiful sky outside.
Now, you will know, one of my favorite things about the sky is when it turns the beautiful ocean blue with large white puffy clouds. Today was my lucky day. Although it was windy and cold, the sky was beautiful and the clouds danced as the strong gusts pushed them about.
I had dismissed the boys to the basement to play while I cleaned up lunch dishes, just so I could get a little quiet time before fighting them for naps, so I stopped what I was doing, grabbed a blanket from the hall closet, picked up my untouched salad and my bottle of water, and went outside to take in the beauty of the day, leaving the door to the kitchen open so I could have an ear inside if needed.
Oh, how the sun felt so warm and re energizing on my face. It was like my battery was teetering on that last 1% before everything begins to shut down, and now, with the sun on my skin, I was plugged in and recharging. The wind was cold, so I wrapped myself tighter in the blanket, but there I sat, enjoying the clouds, the sound of the wind through the trees, the beautiful spring season coming to life, the rays of sun warming my face and the yummy salad that I could now enjoy in the peace and quiet I so much needed.
I sat and took it all in. Every last drop of beauty and peacefulness. I just sat, ate my salad and enjoyed the gift that God provided me. Every now and then I had to brace my salad from blowing off my plate as a large gust of wind came, trying to disrupt my perfectness, but still I sat. My heart rate slowed, my body relaxed, I sat and gazed on the perfect moment created for those that take the time. I thought about His promise to me, His peace and comfort and complete stillness in the storm of this world. His beautiful way He speaks to each and every one of us and how this sky and sun and all this beauty was for me in this moment. Psalm 46 rolled over in my mind "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. 46:1; He says, “Be still, and know that I am God" 46:10.
I sat until every last piece of salad was off my plate. Then, as I sat my fork down, little voices could be heard from the kitchen. "Where is Mom? She was here a minute ago. I don't know but you are in trouble when she finds out." and soon enough, three little faces peeked out the open door. "What are you doing out here?" Everett asked as I picked up my empty plate and started inside.
"Enjoying the beautiful day" I replied... and our day got much better from there.
Thank you Lord for being everything I need to recharge and keep going. It is only when I take the time to sit, listen, and bask in your glory that I am rewarded and blessed with your strength to keep going forward. You are everything I need, and strong where I am so weak. I am ever so thankful for the sacrifice Jesus provided for me to be close to you. Thank you for my little blessings and thank you for providing that moment when I needed you most. In Jesus' name, Amen.



Lisa, Thank you for sharing your heart. You are so beautiful, appreciated and loved! God has great plans for you!
ReplyDeleteThank you! Love you too!
Delete