Our small group from church planned a couples retreat to Baraboo, Wisconsin at Expeditions Unlimited for a fun time of adventure and hanging out. I honestly didn't know what to expect, and the 5+ hour drive there was not something I was looking forward to, but I am very happy we went.
On our way up we stopped off in Dubuque, Iowa to eat and enjoy the beautiful view along the Mississippi River. It was a perfect spring day and my sides were already starting to ache with all the laughing we were doing.
We arrived in Baraboo and instantly was introduced to "Skooba" Steve and his crew. They were so friendly and inviting, the types of people that you feel you've known for years. Steve instructed us to grab some good shoes and meet him for our first adventure before dinner. We were going to be on the high ropes course working together as couples.
We got all harnessed up, learned the commands and safety info, and started up the ladder to the top. I had no idea what to expect, as I have never been on a course like this, but as intimidating and as difficult as it was, it was SO MUCH FUN! Derrick and I had to work together to get from point A to point B and by the time we were finished, we were exhausted!
At the end of the course we could choose to zipline down or "swing" down (which is actually hooking your harness to a cable and free falling 20 feet and then swinging after it catches). It sounded so frightening I knew I had to do it. It was so much fun! I truly felt like a little kid! Derrick decided to do the swing too. (These photos are of our friend, Ryan, who tried the swing after we already went.)
After we were back on the ground we had the opportunity to try another challenge. Another guy from our group tried it first and didn't make it look too difficult, although he wasn't able to hold on to the bar and swing, so I gave it a try. The object of the challenge was to climb up a 40 foot telephone pole, stand at the top, and then jump from the pole to a trapeze bar and swing. I had no idea how difficult standing at the top of the pole was. It was a challenge in itself just to figure out how to balance my weight to stand at the top (which was no larger than a dinner plate). After I was at the top I jumped and actually made the connection with the bar! Unfortunately, my body weight was too much for my grip strength, and I fell down.
When we were all done (not to mention sore and exhausted) we hobbled over to the dining room where we enjoyed a family style home cooked meal. The meals were pretty simple, but the staff were amazing, completely serving us and making sure we had everything we needed.
After dinner, and after settling into our cabins, they planned for us to spend time playing volleyball and basketball in the gym and even started a fire for us in the woods. It was such a clear night but was slightly chilly, so we finished out the late evening with a fire in the fireplace of the cabin and a interesting game of charades.
It was a fun and activity packed day! My body ached so much from all the physical activity I didn't know if I was going to be able to move the next day, let alone go rock climbing and hiking.
No comments:
Post a Comment