The weather was nice today and the kids were outside playing with the neighbor kids. After a while they all came inside to ask if they could have a lemonade stand and sell to the golfers. Usually we are prepared during the summer, with a stash of powdered mix so I can mix up a batch and some prepackaged snacks to sell, but today I was out of EVERYTHING possible to sell and I was not interested in making a batch of cookies or brownies with all I had already going on.
"I don't have anything for you to sell. I don't think this is a good idea. Why don't we wait until next time when we are prepared?" was my reply to their question.
That wasn't good enough, and all of the kids instantly started to suggest we try and think of things to sell along with their small golf ball stash.
I gave in, and remembered that I had some little smarty candies and a little leftover holiday candy in the cupboard, so I grabbed that and looked around for something else to sell. I had a small bag of tangerines... hmmm... do you think golfers will by tangerines? Why not?
I handed over the crazy stash of goodies and waited for them to trot out the backdoor, eager to get selling.
"What about a drink? Do you have any lemonade?" one of the neighbor girls asked, standing there with her blue, empty pitcher from home. "My mom didn't have anything."
"No, but I have cups." I said staring into her disappointed face.
Then I did the unthinkable... I sent the children outside with solo cups and a full pitcher of TAP WATER! Ha! I am that mom. Holly Homemaker I might not be, but pleasing kids is my business, so off they went!
So, you might wonder, did they make any money?
Yep. They sure did. I don't know if it was the nice golfers that felt sorry for four little children, working on such a nice Saturday afternoon, selling tap water, tangerines and their leftover holiday candy, or if the guys just couldn't say no once they came over to the table, but they did end up making enough money to share when they were done.
Oh, and the going rate for a solo cup of chilled Copper Creek tap water is $0.50 in case you were curious.
No comments:
Post a Comment